Monday, August 22, 2005

On exercising...

I started going to the gym 3 weeks ago, and it kicked my butt last night. I did a "Butt and Gutt" class, which will be my goal to conquer from today forth.

The instructor was a very tall and extremely thin brunette. So thin that I assumed she wasn’t actually fit, but just incredibly skinny naturally. I couldn't see any muscles, just saw a skinny body. Well, 2 minutes into the workout, I had an epiphany: “My muscles, they are so weak!” I thought my muscles were actually strong, but her class kicked my butt/gutt. I was in AWE at her endurance - I couldn't figure out how someone so thin had enough muscle strength to keep lifting the same 3lb weight over and over when I was STRAINING to even hold it up at that point. Please don’t laugh at my 3lb weight; lift that weight with muscles you never use 60 times and see if you’re crying for dopamine. The 3lb weight became my enemy at that point.

A specific exercise ripped me apart. They were hip muscle exercises; but I did two reps and almost spontaneously combusted. Instructions were to lay on your side, rest one end of a body bar on the foot of the outer leg, and the other end on the floor in front of you. Lift your leg up and down, up and down. I thought, “piece of cake I’ve been doing lunges for the past 3 weeks”. It wasn’t until I was burning a hole through the side of my shorts did I realize I’ve never used that muscle before and it was just untouched meat sitting on the side of my pelvis. I had to stop a few times, remove the body bar, and full out take a nap, before she was done with her thousandth rep.

I don't feel sore though, so I will keep taking that class. I can’t wait for the day when I write to you, “Damn amateurs in the class can’t even lift this 50lb weight 60 times? Why do they let these idiots into the class?” Just kidding…I’d still be using a 3lb weight.