Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Tearin' it up on my Avenue

At the request of my many adoring fans (one), I am taking a few seconds out of my day to post. Oh adoring fans (fan), fawn over my ingenuity.

Over the past few weeks, the city of New York has completely repaved my sidewalk (complete demolition and reconstruction using cement). Over the next few weeks, the city will repave the road. So, they are doing some nice construction on my street to patch it all up. I am willing to endure the loud *BANG BANG BANG* of concrete breaking at the crack of dawn, because:

1. Rollerblading home use to be a pain in my ass. Literally. I could tell how close or far I was from my apartment based on the different textures of the ground on which I rolled over.
2. I no longer have to tell the taxi cab drivers to "WATCH OUT OVER THERE FOR THE GIANT BLACK HOLE.” Before I kindly ask them to stop at my apartment a few feet ahead.
3. I no longer have to endure the seething stares through the rearview window from the taxi cab drivers because he did not avoid the GIGANTIC AFOREMENTIONED ABYSS in the middle of the street, which split his bright yellow Crown Victoria in half, him in the front and myself in the back.

While the cement on the sidewalk dried, I had to walk down the asphalt road spattered with pieces of broken cement, rocks, pebbles and dirt in order to get home. There were a few nights, looking down this fenced-off, dirt-encompassed street with my orange plastic bag of fruit in hand, thinking that I was in another country. I bet this is what 'insert developing country of choice here' looks like. I wanted to take a picture, but refrained for fear of being run over by terrible Asian woman drivers. While taking pictures was not an outcome, I have decided to contact a few people of the administration to thank them for their generosity in spending millions (I have heard it will cost $8M for this construction work) on our little Avenue. Surprisingly, sheepish mayor Bloomberg will receive a courteous letter from me, as well as that lady whose name I forget, who is in charge of Transportation/Construction services. And, of course, Councilman John Liu, fellow Bronx Science alumni, for cleaning up our streets and making rollerblading youth safer, one humongous fissure at a time.