Thursday, August 25, 2005

My favorite: Season

Do you know that autumn is my favorite season? My wedding is definitely going to be a fall wedding... not that I think about that stuff.

I love everything about it, especially the temperature and the sunlight. It's not rainy (spring), it's not hot & humid (summer), and not cold (Ithaca). It is the perfect temperature - if you go running outside, you sweat a little, but you can walk for miles without even feeling hot. You can walk outside, take a deep breath, and feel crisp air in your lungs - I love that. Take a deep breath now- you feel that crispness? NO! Because it’s not quite autumn yet. I also love that the sun is golden - not yellow or white, but gold, like it is right before sunset. It's just right for my favorite articles of clothing: long pants or jeans, a cottony shirt and light jacket, or a sweater (think wool and fleece). Accessorize accordingly.

I think that psychologically, it represents new beginnings too (opposite of what most people think). For the past 17 years, it has represented the beginning of the school year. New friends, new classes, new knowledge, new pencils/folders/binders, new hobbies. And it represents the beginning of lots of vacation weekends and therefore family gatherings. And fun holidays like Halloween, which reminds me of big and small orange pumpkins everywhere. It also represents many opportunities to make crunching sounds as I walk because of all the crispy fallen leaves. So autumn not only bears warm food and warm fabrics, but also warm feelings. It makes me miss school, and it reminds of so many good things, in addition to the gorgeous auburns, reds and golds, and the swirl of very crisp air through my nose and in my lungs. This morning would have been a good one to wear a light coat for the first time all year. I’m so excited that it’s Autumn soon.

At the risk of sounding like a 6th grader, what's your favorite season?